Mandy grew up in Lockhart, TX and attended the University of TX (and even played French Horn in the Longhorn Band). She spent 8 years in the Army. Now Mandy is busy teaching yoga – as a certified yoga instructor at Black Swan Yoga – and planning events – both for High Beam and her own wedding planning company, Modern Whimsy.
On an unrelated (but equally important) note: Mandy is a total cat lady.
Q&A with Mandy:
- What's your karaoke song?
It's a tie between "I Want to Break Free" by Queen, and "Whatta Man" by Salt-n-Pepa.
- What is your favorite thing about Austin, TX?
The variety of awesome things to do in this town is immense. I love being able to find something fun any night of the week. Also: Barton Springs Pool. Paradise in the middle of the city.
- When did you realize you wanted to be an event planner?
At some point in college, when trying to figure out where my life was going, I started to remember that I was always the one planning parties, trips with friends, and just generally being sweetly bossy towards anyone that would let me take charge. :) Figured I'd make a go of it, and here I am.
- If you had to have dinner with a a cartoon character, who would you choose?
Brian Griffin from Family Guy. We'd get martinis and talk about world issues and current events.
- What was your favorite TV show as a child?
Full House! I learned so much from DJ Tanner....
- What are you most excited about for SXSW 2014?
I absolutely love the energy of SXSW! As a planner, it's so much fun to see all of the hard work you've put into something finally come to fruition. And as crazy as it sounds, I love running on all cylinders for 2 weeks straight, multi-tasking, solving problems, and making our clients happy with the activations they dreamt up for the conference.
- Coffee or tea? Cream and sugar? How do YOU like yours?
Both. Coffee with lots of cream and sugar. Tea with honey.
- Would you rather have an ordinary home in an extraordinary location or an extraordinary home in an ordinary location?
An ordinary home in an extraordinary location. I'm all about simple, minimalist-type living spaces....and you can make anything cozy to live in, it's all about the love and energy you put into a space. :)