Shelby was born and raised in Florida, but her 2013 has been full of travels – including a semester abroad in France and the move to Austin to join the Beam Team! She graduated college this spring with a degree in Event Management. Shelby has past event experience working on a chocolate festival, assisting with conferences, and coordinating events at a museum and a theme park. Shelby is also, apparently, awesome a Skype-ing; that’s how she interviewed (from a hotel room) for her position on the High Beam 2013-14 planning team.
- What language would you most like to learn?
I would love to build on the little French I know and be fluent, as well as learn German.
- What is your favorite thing about Austin, TX?
Live music and Mexican food everywhere, and the quirky charm of the whole city
- When did you realize you wanted to be an event planner?
After beginning my college career in pursuit of becoming an orthodontist, I quickly realized straightening children's teeth was not the life for me. I have always enjoyed interacting with people, plus being organized and planning are second nature to me. After switching to a business major, I took an Intro to Hospitality class and once the event management section came up, I knew that was the career for me. Once I completed my first internship I instantly knew that event planning was what I wanted to do.
- If you had to listen to only one album for the rest of your life, which one would you choose?
"Where the Light Is" by John Mayer
- What is your favorite color?
- What are you most excited about for SXSW 2014?
Coming together as a team to overcome obstacles and grow as event planners and people. I can't wait to see all of our months of planning come to life! I'm excited to just experience SXSW and all of its madness.
- Coffee or tea? Cream or sugar? How do YOU like yours?
I love both tea and coffee! Tea with a splash of milk and honey or coffee with a little milk/cream and a little sugar.
- Assuming both are possible, would you rather live in a space station or an undersea home?
Undersea home... who wouldn't want to have a real life aquarium in their backyard?